Sunday, August 21, 2011

Scarcity Creates Abundance


I will keep this brief.  

During my financial time of abundance I spent more money, got deeper in debt, did not keep a budget, and ultimately spent more than I made, which made me broke (scarcity of money).  When I made a budget and lived on less than I made, I saved more money, paid off more debt, and realized just how creatively I could spend $100 to entertain my family during a month.

Successful businesses have realized this as well.  Companies like 37 Signals.  They offer less features, had less money, and less people.  Yet they became a great company, that offered a great product, to some great companies.

Ideas work off of scarcity also.  When was the last time you created something great when you had a ton of options available?  When was the last time you enjoyed a meal that had so many flavors nothing stood out?  But, you take some flour, water, yeast, salt, olive oil and a little rosemary and execute it correctly and you can have a loaf of bread that will rival what is made in most local stores and restaurants today.

Want to have abundance, then scale something down in your life.

No comments: